PROMISES! PROMISES!


“Will you be responsible for seeing that the child you present is brought up in the Christian faith and life?                   
                           I will with God’s help”                                                                                
                                                                                 (Book of Common Prayer, 302)

The Baptism of my youngest child in 2014
Photo by Ashley Anderson
As parents we make some big promises when we bring our children to be baptized.  Each promise reminds us how we are called to live our own lives as Christians. I thought we could take some time this Lent to examine the promises we make and to have a discussion with our children about what each promise means in their lives.

The first of these promises is listed above. I wish I could tell you that bringing the kids to church every Sunday was enough. I wish I could say showing up on Sunday morning will insure that you child grows up knowing God and their lives will be transformed by this one simple act of church attendance.
 Unfortunately the promise is bigger than just church which is why the answer is "I will with God's help."

Beginning of our Baptism Service p. 299 in
The Book of Common Prayer
We cannot help children see how their lives and their faith intersect in one hour a week. I know because of my own parenting experience that we, as parents, cannot do this alone. The church will support you as you model the Christian life to your children. We can give you resources and support in that life. We can be the place you come when living this life is difficult. We can be the support system and community that you give to your children and yourself. Nothing we do can replace the time your take with your kids to show them what the Christian faith and life looks like each day.

I always think it is good to begin by asking kids what they already know. Today I would like us to ask our children what it means to be a Christian. This question is the key to our understanding of our faith. Have a frank conversation with one another about how you can support each other better in your faith.

Conversation Starters:
  • What does it mean to be a Christian? What does it mean to follow Jesus?
  • What does it look it?
  • How do we know what God wants from us?
  • How do we learn to follow God’s teachings?
  • Is it hard to be a Christian? How can I help you?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Values? But Why?

SAYING “I’M SORRY”

PANCAKES! PANCAKES!