Discipline Dilemma

So many distractions!
During Lent most of us take time to give up something like chocolate or alcohol, the purpose being for most of us to experience in a small way how Jesus suffered for our sakes. For many of us it has become a time to restart our New Year's Resolution and still practice our faith. If for a 40 short days at the end of winter we eat or drink less then we will understand a little of the sacrifice that Jesus made while he was in the desert. This is how Lent was taught to me that we must sacrifice because God sacrificed for us.

As I have grown and as I see my children growing I have come to understand the season of Lent very differently. Lent is a time when we can examine our own lives and how we are drawn away from God. The idea of giving something up has become less and less appealing to me because then my guilt when I break that fast keep me from approaching God. The discipline itself becomes a reason to stay away from God rather than a way to reconnect with God. I have tried very hard in recent years to make my Lenten discipline be something that will help reconnect me with God. I give up things that keep me from time with God and those I love. For some of us that may be giving up something or for others it may be being attentive to how we respond to things and people. While we take small steps in Lent the goal should be focused on the bigger picture of changing our lives to follow Jesus.

Cross at The Gathering, Sunday Evenings, 5pm
At the Edwards Interfaith Chapel


The whole purpose of a Lenten discipline is to make changes that will continue throughout the year, changes that bring us closer to God and one another. These changes should be life changing, life giving, and transformative. 

Today’s Scripture: Mark 8:34-37

34 He called the crowd with his disciples, and said to them, ‘If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. 35For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake, and for the sake of the gospel, will save it. 36For what will it profit them to gain the whole world and forfeit their life? 37Indeed, what can they give in return for their life

Conversation Starters:

  • What keeps us from connecting as a family?
  • What is a small thing we can change so that we are reconnecting?
  • How can we connect to God better as a family?
  • I wonder, what our crosses look like? I wonder what Jesus wants us to lose?
  • What will we gain if we give up something up that is keeping us apart?
  • How can we make sure we continue this change as a family?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Values? But Why?

SAYING “I’M SORRY”

PANCAKES! PANCAKES!